I made this cake for a work colleagues son. This one was so simple because it only used a few colours. I tried to mix it up a little and purchased a pair of craft eyes (obviously this can be a choking hazard, so supervision when cutting the cut is required!)
This is another Wilton tin which I hired from my local cake store ‘Cake and Icing Centre‘ in Mitchelton.
You will need:
Wilton Blue’s Clues Cake Pan
2 packets of Betty Crocker’s Devil’s Food Cake Mix (plus additional ingredients to make cake)
Icing Colours: Sky Blue, Royal Blue, Violet, Rose and Green
Butter cream icing
Make around 5 3/4 cups butter cream icing.
The amount of butter cream you need to tint will depend on the area you need to cover, so the following is an estimation only.
• Tint 1/2 cup dark Sky Blue and Royal Blue combination
• Tint 2 1/4 cup light Sky Blue and Royal Blue combination
• Tint 3/4 cup Royal Blue and violet combination
• Tint 1/4 cup rose
• Tint 1/4 cup green
• Reserve 1 1/2 cups white (thin 1 1/4 cup with 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 teaspoon light corn syrup)
I suggest that you tint all icings at one time while the cake cools. You can refrigerate icings in covered containers until ready to use.
How to Decorate:
1. Ice sides and background areas smooth with thinned white icing.
2. Pipe present box message area with tip 16 green stars.
3. Outline body with tip 3 dark Sky Blue and Royal Blue combination strings.
4. Cover body with tip 16 light Sky Blue and Royal Blue combination stars.
5. Fill in spots with tip 16 dark Sky Blue and Royal Blue combination stars.
6. Outline mouth and pipe-in with tip 3 in rose.
7. Pipe-in tip 3 eyes in white.
8. Pipe-in tip 3 Royal Blue and violet combination pupils and nose. Add tip 3 highlights on nose in white.
9. Outline hat in Royal Blue and violet combination with tip 3.
10. Cover hat with tip 16 Royal Blue stars and add tip 16 green stars.
11. Pipe tip 21 light Sky Blue and Royal Blue combination shell bottom border
Optional message: I purchased sugar letters from Coles or Woolworths and pushed the characters gently into the icing to stick.
Here’s a link to the Wilton website ‘Instructions for Baking and Decorating Blues Clues Cake‘.
Cake inspiration by Wilton