This is not the best picture I’ve ever taken. In fact, I made this cake for a neighbour many years ago for her daughter’s 1st birthday and just before cutting the cake, I realised I never took a photo. So in haste, I managed to get this shot on my camera phone (before iPhone’s were around). So I’ve also included a picture I found on the Wilton website so you can clearly see the details.
This cake is fun to make and one pan gives you so many options. Unfortunately, Wilton has discontinued this pan, but if you live in Brisbane you can hire it at my local cake store ‘Cake and Icing Centre‘.
You will need:
Wilton Care Bear Cake Pan
2 packets of Betty Crocker’s Devil Food Cake Mix (plus additional ingreidents to make cake)
Icing colours: Your choice, but I used Wilton Pink, Blue, Green, Yellow and Black
Light corn syrup
Butter cream icing
Make around 5 1⁄2 cups butter cream icing.
The amount of butter cream you need to tint will depend on the area you need to cover, so the following is an estimation only.
• Tint 1⁄4 cup Blue
• Tint 1⁄4 cup Green
• Tint 1⁄4 cup Yellow
• Tint 1⁄4 cup Black
• Tint 1⁄4 cup Dark Pink
• Tint 1 cup Light Pink
• Reserve 2 1⁄2 cups White (thin 11⁄4 cups with 1 Tablespoon and 11⁄2 teaspoons corn syrup)
I suggest that you tint all icings at one time while the cake cools. You can refrigerate icings in covered containers until ready to use.
How to Decorate:
1. Ice cake sides, background areas and tummy smooth with thinned white
2. Trace pattern on tummy with toothpick.
3. Outline body, tummy, mouth, nose, muzzle and heart on hip with tip 3 in Dark Pink icing.
4. Pipe in nose, mouth, eyebrows, heart on hip with tip 3 in Dark Pink icing (smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch).
5. Outline eyes with black icing in cut piping bag.
6. Outline eyelids with tip 3 in Dark Pink icing.
7. Pipe in irises with tip 3 in Rose icing.
8. Pipe in pupils with tip 3 in black icing (smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch).
9. Pipe dot eye highlights, whites of eyes and bottom lip with cut piping bag in white icing.
10. Outline left heart on tummy with tip 3 in Dark Pink icing and pipe in with tip 3 in Dark Pink icing (smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch).
11. Outline right heart on tummy with tip 3 in Dark Pink icing and pipe in with tip 3 in Light Pink icing (smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch).
12. Cover bear with tip 16 stars in Light Pink icing.
13. Cover muzzle with tip 16 white stars.
14. Pipe dots on muzzle with tip 3 in Rose icing.
15. Cover rainbow stripes with tip 16 stars in Care Bears™ Yellow, Blue and Green icing.
16. Pipe tip 21 shell bottom border in white icing.
Optional message: I purchased from Coles or Woolworths a pre-made sugar letter set, and gently pushed them into the icing to stick.
Here’s a link to the Wilton website ‘Instructions for Baking and Decorating Care Bear Cake‘. It has a few different Care Bear designs that you could recreate.
Cake inspiration by Cakitches.com