If one cake wasn’t enough, this little boy requested a dinosaur cake to take to school and this was his birthday cake for his party. This tin is quite clever because you can create almost any character with it. I’ve seen pirates (duh), sailors, cowboys and firemen to name a few. Just use your imagination!
The following instructions will help you recreate the Wilton Pirate (as above).
Wilton says this cake serves 12, but I can assure you it will probably feed 20+
You will need:
Wilton Little Pirate Cake Pan
2 packets of Betty Crocker Devil’s Food Cake Mix (or another mix of your choice)
Food Colouring: Black, Brown, Royal Blue, Red, Golden Yellow, Copper
Light corn syrup
Butter cream icing
Granulated brown sugar
Gold Foil-covered chocolate coins
I suggest that you tint all icings at one time while cake cools. Refrigerate tinted icings in covered containers until ready to use.
Make 4 3/4 cups buttercream icing:
Tint 1/2 cup black
Tint 1/2 cup dark brown
Tint 1 cup light brown
Tint 1/4 cup blue
Tint 1/4 cup red
Tint 1/4 cup yellow
Tint 1/2 cup copper
Reserve 1 1/2 cups white (thin 1 cup with 1 Tablespoon light corn syrup)
Decorate in Order
1. Ice sides and background areas smooth with thinned white icing.
2. Use tip 3 and white icing to outline and pipe-in skull and crossbones on hat (smooth with finger dipped in cornstarch).
3. Use tip 3 and black icing to outline and pipe-in eye, eye patch, skull facial features and keyhole on treasure chest.
4. Use tip 3 and copper icing to outline face, arms, legs and feet.
5. Use tip 3 and dark brown icing to outline treasure chest, sandals and mouth.
6. Use tip 3 and red icing to outline shirt.
7. Use tip 16 and white icing to cover stripes on pants with stars.
8. Use tip 16 and yellow icing to cover trim around hat with stars.
9. Use tip 16 and copper icing to cover face, arms, legs and feet with stars.
10. Use tip 16 and dark brown icing to cover treasure chest and sandals with stars. Use tip 16 and dark brown icing to make pull-out star hair.
11. Use tip 16 and red icing to cover shirt with stars.
12. Use tip 16 and blue icing to cover stripes on pants with stars.
13. Use light brown icing in bag cut with 3/8 in. opening to pipe swirl bottom border; sprinkle with granulated brown sugar.
14. Position candy coins around border and in treasure chest.