I made this cake for a friend’s son to take to school to share with his class. I remember my mum making this cake for us when my brother and I were kids, so it was fun to reminisce and try to recreate my childhood. You can dress this cake up with any design combination. My mum made my brother a Sportasaurus Cake, and I know Wilton has even created Groomasaurus.
You will need:
Wilton Partysaurus Pan
2 packets Betty Crocker Cake mix (your choice, but I use Devil’s Food Cake)
Icing colours: Your choice. To recreate the Wilton Green/Pink dinosaur: Leaf Green and Pink
Make 4 cups butter cream icing
Tint 1/2 cup pink
Tint 1 1/2 cups green
Reserve 2 cups white (thin 1 cup with 2 teaspoons light corn syrup)
Decorate in Order:
1. Use a spatula and ice sides and background area on top smooth with thinned icing
2. Ice eye area smooth
3. Use tip 3 and “To Outline” directions to outline head, facial features, body, scales and claws
4. Use tip 3 and “To Pipe” directions to fill in nostrils and claws
5. Use Tip 3 and “To make Zigzags” directions to cover scales
6. Use tip 16 and “To Make Stars” directions to cover underside
7. Use tip 16 and “To Make Shells” directions to edge base
8. Use tip 16 and “To Make Stars” directions to cover head, body, legs and tail
9. Use tip 3 and “To Make Dots” directions to add pupil to eye
Here’s a link to the Wilton website ‘Instructions for Baking and Decorating Partysaurus Cake‘.
Another design I did for a another friends son’s birthday. Endless possibilities!
Cake inspiration by my mum
Cake inspiration by Wilton