Renovation Update – September 2012


Since Matt and I knew we would renovate the house, there wasn’t much we were actually willing to do to it. So we decided the only we could improve on and start designing was the garden.
I never thought of myself as much of a gardener, even though my parents are on acreage and grow everything! But having my own backyard inspired me to try growing veggies and herbs in raised garden beds. Hubby was kind enough to design and assemble some beds for me. He sourced the treated pine sleepers and other materials from Bunnings.
This was the backyard when we purchased the house. We decided to put 2 raised garden beds behind the shed (far corner of picture), as it received the most sun light. Unfortunately, the neighbours mango tree was growing out of control and it’s shadow shaded the majority of the backyard. We cleared the corner (which had mainly weeds), and cut back some of the mango trees lower branches.
IMG_0202
The garden beds are approximately 1m wide x 3m long. We had originally thought to put 3 beds in, as there was enough room to allow for it, but changed our minds once the first bed was finished. After we had cleared the weeds, we set about levelling the ground as much as possible, but Matt also designed the bed to allow for a slope.
IMG_0374
IMG_0375
IMG_0408
Matt assembled the bed, then we had to dig holes for the legs to sit in. I used a pelican pick and it was exhausting work! I think I supervised most of it, or worse, dug the hole and Matt discovered it was in the wrong spot so had to redo it! Fail!! 😦
IMG_0442
IMG_0444
We lined the bed with weed matting…
IMG_0524
… then covered the weed matting with flattened cardboard boxes. I had read about this in a gardening book Matt gave me for Christmas, “The Little Veggie Patch Co“. It tells you about no-dig raised garden beds. What I loved about this idea, was that we had so many moving boxes to get rid of, so this worked out perfectly for us! Way to reuse!

IMG_0527

We bought premium top soil: 3 cubic meters of it. That’s lots of shovelling and wheel barrows! I busted the wheel barrow tyre (typical) which halted work (hmmm perhaps I planned to do it?!).

IMG_0530

IMG_0531

IMG_0537

IMG_0539

Once the first bed was planted and under way, Matt made a start on the second bed, with a few design modifications. He put in extra bracing, as the first garden bed bowed a little once all the soil was in.

IMG_0663

IMG_0664

We decided to use a snaking soaker hose to water these beds. At the time, it was the best we could do. We have plans to install water tanks, but that’s months away yet!

IMG_0670

Finished product!

IMG_0913

Link to: The Little Veggie Path Co website

Untitled-2 copy
 I also found the following websites really helpful with the design and how-to behind no-dig gardens:
Advertisements

One thought on “Renovation Update – September 2012

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s